There are thousands of project management apps out there, so why do we keep making more? The product review website G2Crowd shows over 200 project management tools.
I’ve personally worked at a number of project management software companies, including Oracle, Niku and Serena. And I’ve used many other solutions like Microsoft Project, Google Sheets, Excel, Trello, Asana, Basecamp, you name it. But in the end, I stopped using the tools because they were too much extra work, they didn’t help me complete my tasks, others didn’t use the tool, etc.
With so much project management software out there, you’d think there would be one that would be perfect. Here are the three biggest problems.
- Project management software tends to be either top-down planning tools or bottoms-up execution tools, but not both. So if you’re using them for Gantt charts, it’s likely that team members don’t find them very useful.
- Most project management software are standalone tools. Some are elegant to use, but in the end, you need to go to some other place to do the work or find out the latest status.
- Customization is difficult, especially for traditional tools. And when even some newer cloud apps announce custom fields as a major new feature, you know it’s a problem.
That’s why Propel is releasing new product launch capabilities today. We address the three issues of project management software and hope everyone can launch new products more easily.
- We put your work in the context of your project. So by having product, customer and project information in one place, it’s easier to get your work done and see what’s needed next. For example, when you update a product design, you can just check off the project task as well. There’s no need to go anywhere else.
- Having been involved in complex program management initiatives, I’m a big fan of Propel’s task boards. They’re much more useful to team members. Just drag and drop a task to say that you’re done. And by tying them to Gantt charts, Propel also helps project managers see how the overall status of the project is doing.
- Finally Propel is very configurable. You can create custom fields, layouts, reports or dashboards in just a few clicks. No major press release needed to talk about that. So no matter what type of business you are or what type of project you’re running, Propel can help.